About Me

My photo
MY name is Amy Stork. I am 28 years old. I have been married for 6 years and have two children Nicholas who is 5 and Ashlynn who is 2. I started college right after high school but decided to quit to get married and have kids. Last fall (2008) I decided it was time to finish so I started back!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jan. 24 blog posts

1. Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today


I found this video to be very enlightening about how college students are alike and how teachers need to adapt to new teaching techniques. The part in the video talks about students being on Facebook during class is true because even I am guilty of doing that as well. I think that if teachers made class a little more interesting or more interactive then students would pay more attention in class.

This edm310 class is one of the more interesting classes that i have taken. I found my self not even looking at the clock the first night I was there! When I did look t the clock it was 8:15 and the class was over. I think that just goes to show that if teachers would adapt to the students way of life, which is the internet for most then I truly believe that students would LEARN the material and have an all around better college experience.


It's Not about the Technology


This is something that I totally agree with. My son's kindergarten class just got a smart board and his teacher was so excited about it. She learned all about it and uses it in her classroom everyday to enhance her teaching. While this a good situation, there are some teachers that have it in there classrooms that don't even use it or use it to strictly play games. Where I don't think that the smart boards are a waste of money I think that we should mandate teachers take technology classes every year to keep up to date with changing technologies.
Most kids in school in the 21st century will be far more advanced in technology than there teachers that are teaching them. I don't think that there is any way that teachers can continue to teach without using the newest technologies available and keep kids interested in learning.

"Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?"

I am so glad to be reading this. This is what I haven been thinking for quite some time now. I mean how can we as teachers except to continue to teach students in the same mean that it has been done for years now? While I understand that writing skills are important to learn I believe that typing and computer literacy skills are equally important.
Mr Fisch's statement that principles and head teachers should be held accountable for the teachers not being technologically literate could not be better stated if I said it myself. IF the people who are in charge are themselves not technologically literate and do not make it mandatory for their staff to be then what kind of message is that send =ing to the students who are in their classrooms? It's saying that the teachers and principles don't care enough about their students to learn every possible way to enrich their students educational career.
I for one do no think it is funny or acceptable for grown ups much less teachers to state that they "don't know anything about computers". I actually had two college professors last semester who stated several times "oh I don't know how to use my cell phone much less those computers!" I was appalled!! Why in the world these college professors would make themselves sound so non-educated to their students, who no doubt were probably not listening but on Facebook, is beyond me. People today say that they don't know how to use computers like it's something that will just go away and their not going to bother with it. It makes me so mad because it would take them less time to just sit and figure it out then to constantly refuse it. Technology will only get more advanced it's not going away!!

Gary Hayes Social Media Counts
This is very impressive. I think that some of the people who don't want to accept the internet or "don't know how to use it", should watch these numbers continue to rise. It might jumpstart them to get with the program. I think as a future teacher that it is my responsibility to stay up to date on everything that can help me be a better teacher.
I was pretty amazed at how many new internet users there were. I hope that it is people would are trying to learn all they can about new technologies and how it affects them.

Amy Stork

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but notice your comments on "It's not about the Technology". I totally agree, as teachers we need to stay up to date on technology, but we have to use what we learn. The Smartboards were rarely seen when I left teaching 2 1/2 years ago. I remember thinking how neat it would be to have one and now I'm beginning to see them in more and more classrooms (as I substitute teach occasionally). It's ashame that more teachers don't utilize the Smartboards to their potential. I hope that when I get back into teaching I will be fortunate enough to have one in my class. Sandra Napp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start Amy. Please correct, "that i have taken. I found my self not even looking at the clock the first night I was there! When I did look t the clock it was 8:15" That dreaded little "i" and I believe you meant "When I did look AT the clock.." Keep up the good work, just proof read.

    ReplyDelete