About Me

My photo
MY name is Amy Stork. I am 28 years old. I have been married for 6 years and have two children Nicholas who is 5 and Ashlynn who is 2. I started college right after high school but decided to quit to get married and have kids. Last fall (2008) I decided it was time to finish so I started back!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feb. 28th Post

Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student
I really enjoyed this video. The drawings and different topics were very organized. I loved the voiceovers and how accurate the pictures were with what was being said. The name of the high school '21st Century High School' was GREAT. There is so much information that can be found without even using a textbook. The video discussed a lot of the things that I am learning in EDM 310 with doing research for my PLN and my blogging assignments. It was very nice to see how things like my PLN works out. When I first heard about mp3 players and iPods I thought they could only be used for music and video, but now I know that can be used as an educational tool as well. They can also be used to listen to lectures from any college or university and with different subject areas.

"Why does a networked student even need a teacher?"
I have thought about this question myself and have even wondered if in the future kids will still need teachers to be there. Students will always need a teacher to be there. Even in the future with all the different technologies, students will still need to know how to properly use those tools. Someone will need to be there to show them how it needs to be used. Although I am glad that there will still be teachers and I will still have a job, I am also glad that there will be easier ways for students to access their information for their classes. There is such a need for information to be on a website for kids that miss a class would be just a beginning.

"Are you prepared to be a teacher of a networked student?"
I will be prepared to be a teacher of a networked student. As I continue to learn about the different educational tools and found out what they do and how they can be used, I'm adding them to my list of materials that I would want to have for my students. I really hope I stay completely on top of every new piece of technology to help my students when I start teaching. I think that if I keep my PLN going and keep up with this class it will help me to achieve my goals.


My PLN!

For my PLN research I have been bookmarking sites and going to other people bookmarks in Diigo and Delicious. I have ben using Twitter, facebook and LikedIn. One of my favorite websites is The Educator's PLN it is very helpful. My friend Tiffany in class emails me when she finds something interesting. She has also shared her bookmarks with me. I think it is so interesting and useful that you can see what other people have bookmarked. I will definitely keep this going so that when I do start teaching that things that I bookmark will help me in my teaching.

5 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Great post this week. I really enjoyed reading what your thoughts were. When you talked about the "Networked Student" I had a lot of the same thoughts. I wouldn't mind trying this with some of my students once they are introduced to this down the road. Also, I am glad you got my emails on the cool sites I have found using Delicious. I have found Delicious to be very helpful when it comes to my PLN. Let's keep our A and Skype me anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a very good job on your post!!! I totally agree with what you said about students always needing an educator. You had good facts to support your opinion.It is also the educator job to become familiar with the new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Our teacher said said you said hi. We like when you say hi. We are 5. And 6. Is your son 5? You should make him a blog. He could be our friend. We have blog friends. They don't live where we live. Are you older than 5? How do you get to school? Do you ride a school bus? Are you a car rider?

    Have a good day! We love you!
    Randy A, Ja'Mario, James, Luis, Melanie, Tyrone, Iker, Randy G., Brian, Jovany, David, Briana, Na'Zosheona, Sara, Keyli, Daylin, Jatameyah, Cornella, Shamara, Tytiana and our teachers, Mrs. Farrington and Mrs. Voigt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Your teacher sent me your questions so let me answer them. My son is 5. His birthday is August 5th. He will be 6. I showed him your class blog and he wants one. When we get it finished I will tell you and you can be his friend. I am older than 5. I am 29!! I drive to school. I drive my son to school. He rides a bus home from school. Do you ride a bus? Nicholas, my son, has some questions.
    How many boys are in you class? How many girls are in your class? Do you take reading tests on the computer? Do you have a fun playground? Where is your school?

    Thanks and HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
    Amy and Nicholas Stork

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post...I agree that students will always need a teacher no matter how far advanced the technology. At least I hope that the will always need a teacher because your right, we won't have a job!

    ReplyDelete